Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Another race to do and a contest!

Can you believe it’s already November? I can’t. Thanksgiving is just a mere three weeks away! This month there is a lot going on. My Uncle Rick is going to be in town next weekend for the showing of his film “Forgetting Dad” at the Starz Denver Film Festival (more on that to come) which is also the weekend of the official Team in Training season kickoff! I can’t wait to meet all of our new teammates on the 14th.

The following weekend is our first team run which is going to be a timed 5k. This will help everyone get into the correct training group and find their running partners. Nothing helps more on a long run than having someone to talk to. I’m interested to see what my conversation pace for a 5k is now these days.


Thanksgiving weekend my dad’s side of the family: Grandma and Grandpa Walker, Aunt Kath, Auth Suze, Uncle Todd and their three kiddos, are all coming for the weekend. This means good food and lots of it all weekend! This year I am going to try to be as healthy as possible though it’s tough with delicious food, wine and of course a beer or three before we go watch the Huskers trample the Buffs in Boulder.  Trying to be healthy over the holiday weekend is part of what lead me to register for the United Way’s Annual Turkey Trot last night. That and I'm ready for another short race.  The 4 mile race is Thanksgiving morning around Denver’s Wash Park. I’m excited to work up a sweat before indulging in my holiday favorites. Josh is going to do this race with me as is my stepmom Liz. I’m really looking forward to the race. The last time I did it was when I was in high school…long before the days of being a runner. Hopefully I’ll be able to pick up the pace and finish in well under 40 minutes…maybe 35ish or so.

Tonight I’m going to attempt my first ever tempo run. We’ll see how it goes. It should be a great indicator of how fast I’ll be able to finish the Trot.


Now back to fundraising and the contest mentioned. For the past two weeks or so there has not been a single donation…not one which makes me sad. So in order to get those donations to The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society going again I thought I’d sweeten the deal. Everyone who donates up until Thanksgiving will have the opportunity to win this awesome t-shirt which was specially created for the Rocky Mountain Team in Training group. Yep, that's right, I'm going to reward you for your tax deductible donation to LLS.  I mean who doesn't love a good t-shirt?  I will randomly draw a winner next Wednesday I only ask that you donate a minimum of $10, no maximum of course! Good luck everyone and let’s get the donations going.

Update to come on how the tempo run went later.

No comments:

Post a Comment