Sunday, February 28, 2010

Dreadmill Eighteen

I've been in denial for a few weeks now that something might be wrong with my ankle.  As we were running a couple weeks back I knew I landed wrong as my foot connected with the ground. Running on those icy,  uneven trails is really hard on the body. I played it safe and took a few days off and did my run last weekend on the treadmill.  It was a taper week so it wasn't too bad. 

I finally broke down and went to the doctor on Friday afternoon.  Low and behold...tendonitis.  UGH!  I thought I had successfully avoided it this season, but those trails took their toll.  Luckily it's just my ankle and not my knees this time.  The doctor said I could keep running as long as I ran on an even surface and used kinesio tape...which meant the dreadmill for an entire 18 miles...booo.

Bright and early yesterday morning I headed to the gym all taped up, two water bottles and my gels in hand.  I decided not to push too hard so set the treadmill to a steady 10 min/mile pace and started running. The first six miles flew right by and were a breeze.  By the time it slowed me down for cool down it was time for my first gel. 

The next six miles were interrupted by my stomach. It could have been the pizza or the gel but my stomach was not happy.  Quick run to the restroom and I was off again.  Mile 12 came and went and it was time for gel #2.  Done and done.

Mile 15 comes stomach acts up again!  This is making me realize that running at the gym definitely has its advantages.  By mile 16.5 I was just ready to be done. I'd already watched an episode of Law & Order, The Practice, Ruby and was almost through Guiliana and Bill...yes I know, bad TV.  To help get myself through it I popped some PowerBar gummies and cranked up the speed to 9 min/miles.

With only a half mile left my knees stiffened right up.  I was going to push through but realized it was probably best to stop and stretch. Twat squat and I finished that last 1/2 mile.  When I was done it did not feel like I had just run 18 miles. I mean last season I was dying on that run. This time I was soaking wet and a little sore but not even tired. I thought about staying at the gym a little longer to do some upper body work but figured it was in my best interest to get home and ice.

Today I'm still feeling good.  My ankle is sore and my knees a little bit too, but I can still take stairs no problem and figure I'll be nearly 100% tomorrow. 

With that it's time to board my flight to Oregon...yes, I'm off again.

No comments:

Post a Comment