Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Running By Comparison

Last night I did my first interval training workout. I’d been looking online for treadmill recommendations but hadn’t really found one that was just right for me, so I made up my own 35 minute workout:

5 minute warm-up at 5.5
1 minute-6.0
1 minute-5.5
1 minute-6.5
1 minute-5.5
1 minute-7.0
1 minute-5.5
1 minute- 7.5
1 minute-5.5
1 minute-8.0
1 minute-5.5
1 minute-7.5
1 minute-5.5
1 minute-7.0
1 minute-5.5
1 minute-6.5
1 minute-5.5
1 minute-6.0
1 minute-5.5
1 minute 6.0
1 minute-5.5
1 minute-6.5
1 minute-5.5
1 minute-7.0
1 minute-5.5
1 minute 7.5
5 minute cool down-5.5

Total Time: 35 minutes Distance: 3.5 miles Average Pace: 10 min/mile

(Not to bad considering 22 minutes were at 10:54 pace)

I was definitely sweating. Usually when I run on the dreadmill I set it for 6.2 and just run at the same pace for the entire run. Doing intervals really helped make it fly right by!
 

This is all part of my goal for a healthy training season and faster marathon. Last year other than a few track workouts I didn’t work on my speed at all, especially after I was injured. Needless to say when I crossed the marathon finish line in 5:06:57 I was a bit disappointed. I though finishing in 4:30 would have been no problem, but when I got injuried I also lost a lot of speed. I am proud that I finished and faster than a lot of people, but being so close to making it under the 5 hour make up until the last 10k when my knees gave out was really hard to swallow.
 
So speed work, lots of cross-training and only running three days a week is the plan. My weekly schedule will look somewhat like this:

Monday-Rest (The perfect day for rest)
Tuesday-Interval workout
Wednesday-Cross-train and weights
Thursday-Hills or Tempo Run
Friday-Rest
Saturday-Long Run with the Team
Sunday-Cross-train and weights

Hopefully this will help me pick up speed and stay healthy. I’m also going to meet with the nutritionist Erin who came to our Biggest Loser kickoff at Tawsha’s. She’s going to help me make sure that I’m giving my body enough of the right nutrients. With her help and tracking what I’m eating on SparkPeople I think I’ll be fueled properly to handle all of the exercising.

All this brings me to comparing myself to other runners. Every since I started running I’ve found myself comparing my speed and distance to others. I tell myself all the time that I’m still a relatively new runner and I have come sooooooooo far since I first started running. I’ve run over 2000 miles June of 2008 and I can pace well under 10 min/miles for 11 miles. My first mile took me about 11 minutes and 11 miles was out of the question. I can run faster and long than some people but nontheless, every time I hear about someone finishing a ½ in under 2 hours or a 5k under 25 minutes I get a little sad. Even when Josh ran the Turkey Trot super fast I though man I suck, I really need to step it up. Of course I was also very proud of him.  :-) I know that there will always be someone who can runner faster and longer than me, but that little voice keeps telling me I need to be better. I suppose it’s not necessarily a bad thing, it does keep me motivated. What I’m trying to focus on for the rest of marathon training is making sure I stay healthy and enjoying the company of my awesome new teammates.

No comments:

Post a Comment